Sunday, 11 November 2012

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY

KAZUO ISHIGURO

Four Stars


The Remains of the Day by Kazuo IshiguroI found this novel tedious at first, but as I continued reading I found that rather than being slow, the novel is quiet and subtle and therein lies its strength.

The narrative, delivered through the point of view of Mr Stevens, is polite and dignified to the point of absurdity; I certainly felt the frustration of Miss Kenton when she demanded, 'Why, why, why do you always have to pretend?' As memories are recounted in a manner completely void of emotion the reader is left to infer all that the butler has sacrificed personally, the depth of his self deception, and the extent of his misplaced trust.


Beautifully written and thought provoking as the reader is faced with the possibility that ideals can prove as destructive as apathy and cynicism.





No comments:

Post a Comment